Location: 9455 Waples Street, Suite 135
San Diego, CA 92121
Here’s what you need to know:
- Volunteers must be at least age 6 years or older.
- Children ages 6–16 require supervision by a parent or guardian.
- Volunteers under the age of 18 must bring in a signed paper waiver.
- Closed-toed shoes must be worn at all times in the distribution center.
Here are some of the things you may be doing:
- Pack Farm2Kids bags with three to five pounds of produce, which are later delivered to children in need.
- Fill bags with staple items for under-served children.
- Sort food that has been pulled from grocery store shelves to prevent it from reaching the landfill. Check expiration dates against their extended best by date, and then sort and box each food by type.
- Repack bulk containers of beans, rice, cereals and other items into smaller, family friendly bags and boxes.
- Donated by manufacturers and retailers, volunteers label blank cans called “brites” with nutrition information.
- Sort produce from the California Association of Food Banks and other local donors.
Tom Beltz, Vice President